Format & Call Letters
Classic Hits - WFXY 98.3 FM / 1490 AM
WFXY is not an era of music – it is a state of mind.
98.3 FM / 1490 AM WFXY The Original FOXY Radio, covers the Tri-State area and plays Classic Hits of the 70s, 80s, and 90s.
WFXY Radio, the premier advertising vehicle in the Tri-State, targets Middlesboro, Pineville, Barbourville, KY, Claiborne County, TN and, Lee County, VA.
WFXY is targeted to reach affluent Adults between the ages of 25 to 54. Also, WFXY consistently dominates adult listeners in the important 18 to 49 & 35 to 64 demographics.
Artist Profile: Superstars such as Fleetwood Mac, the Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Beatles, Bob Seger, U2, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Blondie, Bon Jovi, The Eagles, The Police, Duran Duran, and Aerosmith make this format one that will stand the test of time!
The WFXY's Classic Hits music format has grown as one of the fastest-growing formats in America over the past decade.
The WFXY's Classic Hits music format has become popular at work for listeners.
The top three regular uses of radio for Classic Hits audiences in America are music, news, and weather.
WFXY allows advertisers to reach a large consumer group that can’t be reached with any other station.
The WFXY's Classic Hits music format continues to be one of the most top rated formats in America for advertisers.
The WFXY news staff that provides up to the minute coverage throughout the week and weekends. And ABC NEWS NOW Radio provides top of the hour updates on the most current events. .We also have hourly weather updates including breaking severe weather updates to keep you informed of the latest conditions.
WFXY does extensive music research, tremendous on-air promotions, unique contests, listener participation, and community involvement.
Special Programming: Local High School Football & Basketball, Community Calendar, Obituaries, American Top 40 w/Casey Kasem, and Machine Gun Kelly Back to the ’70s, Awesome ’80s, 90’s Rewind, various contests and promotions as well as Remote Broadcasts.
The WFXY is designed to reach active consumers in their prime spending years.
WFXY has wide demographic appeal with consumers who have purchasing power!
Age Composition: Over 75% of Classic Hits listeners in America fall into the 25-64 age group.
- Almost 30% of Classic Hits listeners in America are adults 45 to 54 years old.
- Over 25% of Classic Hits listeners in America are adults 55 to 64-year-old.
- Almost 15% of Classic Hits listeners in America are adults 65+.
- Over 12% of Classic Hits listeners in America are adults 35 to 44 years old.
- Almost 10% of Classic Hits listeners are adults 25-34 years old.
Gender: Almost 55% of Classic Hits listeners in America are male while over 45% are female.
Household Income: Classic Hits listeners in America have high earning power.
- Over 30% of Classic Hits listeners in America have an income of over $75,000.
- Almost 25% of Classic Hits listeners in America have an income of $50,000 -$74,999.
- Over 26% of Classic Hits listeners in America have an income of $25,000 - $49,999.
- Over 55% of Classic Hit listeners have an annual household income of over $50,000 a year.
Occupation: WFXY listeners are employed as Owners, Managers or Professionals, employed as tradespeople, employed in the Sales and Service industry and are also employed as Administrators or Clerical staff.
Education: WFXY listeners are well educated.
- Over 27% are College graduates.
- Over 32% have attended community college.
- Over 34% have a high school diploma.
Get your message out to thousands of potential new customers each week with WFXY.
WFXY listeners are in their prime earning and spending years.
Home: WFXY targets homeowners. A huge category with these consumers is home improvement and home decorating.
Home Spending: Started or completed in the past 2 years
- Interior painting/wallpaper
- Landscaping or yard improvements
- Exterior painting/staining
- Energy conservation projects
- Floor tiles or vinyl flooring
- Installed windows or doors
- Other home projects
WFXY targets listeners with large purchasing power with retail sales in the Tri-State area.
- Purchase a wide variety of electronic devices including computers, tablets, smartphones, MP3 players, video games, HDTVs, digital video recorders (TiVo) and digital cameras.
- Are big consumers of furniture, major appliances, and automobiles.
- Purchased fine and costume jewelry, cosmetics, perfume, and skincare products.
- Enjoy going out to restaurants often every month. Over 50% go out more than 5 to 6 times a month.
- In the past year purchased men and women's clothing, infant and children clothing, men's and woman's shoes and accessories.
Investments: WFXY targets listeners who have high incomes and invest in real estate, mutual funds, stocks/bonds, retirement programs, savings accounts, etc.
Activity: The WFXY attracts listeners who are very active participating in exercise and fitness, boating, biking, golfing, camping, hiking, and going to the cottage on weekends.
These listeners dine out frequently, attend local and regional sporting events and concerts.
WFXY has a wide demographic appeal with consumers who have purchasing power!
We Serve The Tri-State Area
WFXY has committed to super-serving the Tri-State community. The station has a strong focus on local events, issues, entertainment, civic functions, as well as, charitable causes. We take pride in being an important part of the fabric of our community.
At WFXY we love taking part in community events and getting behind local causes that affect our listeners.
WFXY is extremely proud of its commitment as the community radio station that actively supports hundreds of worthwhile causes.
Start Your Day With Frank & Penny and The Crater Morning Show
From an early age of 15, the owner, Frank Smith had a passion for being a D.J. on a local radio station WFXY. Listening to local favorites and national personalities (Casey Kasem, Wolfman Jack, Spider Harrison, and many more) the fire burned until the opportunity came to become a board operator on WFXY. A year later turned into a fulltime position working several different dayparts and learning the business.
Throughout the early years and working at various radio stations throughout the Tri-State area Frank decided to leave the business when differences with an owner lead into another venue. Several years went by and both local radio stations (WFXY-WANO) in which Frank worked at in the past were put up for sale. Without a second thought, Frank and his wife Penny decided to form the Penelope Media Group and purchase the stations to keep them local. After several years the stations are still serving the Tri-State area with the best opportunity for local businesses to reach their core customers.
The Crater Morning show is the areas only husband and wife team and has garnered several awards locally and on a regional level.
Frank is married to Penny Smith for 40 years and in the radio business for 40 years as well.
Wake up to Frank & Penny, The Crater Morning Show, weekdays on WFXY.
WFXY Radio Coverage Map
To Learn More How Radio Can Help
Grow Your Business Click Here